Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Sign of the times post WII



     As a curious natured child, my Dad's workshop was a source of intrigue and exploration.  In retrospect a listing of Father's projects would fill a ledger - everything from a speed boat to a doll house and each as fascinating as the other.  There was however one dark corner of his shop (at basement level of the Elliott home) which I purposely avoided.  In that corner two WWII gas-masks hung from a hook and their presence was very unnerving.  When I first recall seeing them, at approximately 10 years of age, I had no idea of what they were but sensed their intimidating images had a purpose and a mysterious dark history.  Eventually, with maturity on my side and a better understanding of my place in the world, I gained the confidence to approach the subject with my parents.   My Mother (Frances Evelyn Elliott) and Father, (Norman Arthur Elliott) were both RCAF personnel and each witnessed the horror of battles while stationed in Britain throughout WWII.
     Despite the gravity of that period in their lives, they were quite willing to explain the purpose and history of these wartime icons.  Mother's sensitive presentation of these images certainly represented the potential and positive outcomes they served.   Regardless of her calm and kind explanations, I remained stressed and with a high level of anxiety -- my thoughts went to an unknown, namely,  should there be war in our future.....there would be a need of four more masks and such was not obviously present.  I did not ask what the expectations would be as I did not want to alarm my siblings. 
     Now, some 40 years later,  my questions and thoughts returned to that unsettling childhood period.  This was kindled when examining the role of Canadians during WWII. 
     The realization of the horror our parents endured leaves me with a sense that we, as matured "baby boomers" of Veterans, have been surely neglectful in turning our backs and remaining comfortably unaware of the reality of our families participation in their effort to secure our peace.
 
(please excuse spelling and grammar errors - author is visually challenged)
    
.....Melanie P. Elliott (daughter of Frances and Norman Elliott) - Nightingale                
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment