Friday, January 2, 2015

Adapted Fashion and Tradition

  Image:  A design for an adapted cape for wheelchair dependent individuals --- which features: 
- two Velcro'd vertical spaces at back for accessible push handles which
   allows the back of the cape to hang freely between the push hands thus
   keeping the back of wheelchair dry,
-  separate protective sleeve covers keep arms warm and dry (see insert),
-  the short length prevents cape from coming in contact with wheels and/or
    hubs: (I have known of individuals who do not have upper trunk or arm
     function and whose seemingly long safe capes become altered in position   froma gust of wind thus putting themselves at risk of wheel interference
- a detachable hood is included, and 
                                        -  a Velcro closing in front  provides ease in closing
(adapted rain-pants are currently being designed with this cape in mind - the end of  wet knees !) {please excuse grammar and spelling errors as author is visually impaired}
********

With time ticking away, I have decided to add my part to the equation of later-life activity/hobby participation and have taken up adapted fashion design --- a long time wish.  Fashion was a skill and talent that both my Mother and Grandmother freely exercised.  Today,  while recycling some old items, I came across this ruler (see image) -- on in which Mother used for decades in her fashion and artwork activities and this finding was the last inspiration I needed to get started in fashion design and will make good use of this cherished item.  The fact that Mother inscribed her class, namely Grade X1,  and the name of her boyfriend "Elroy Bent" makes it a true and functional keepsake.

The delayed activity of swimming was Mother's achievement when she took the courageous  leap at age 70 and my Grandmother began to paint and sketch with pastels upon turning 70 as well.  My Father,  joined a band at the 70 year hiatus........oh,  he was so,so musical and being the hard working man he was, he literally did not have time to treat himself to that which came so pleasurably and natural to him in earlier years.

My efforts, creativity and gift in fashion design will offer me enjoyment and fulfillment in the field of fashion design.  Now that I am wheelchair dependent, I have come to personally experience the barriers to fashion that my late identical, quadriplegic twin, Melodie worked so hard to manage.  She was a valued community contributor to so, so many social issues and such demanded an up-to-date, career-style.  Now, my life-style as a wheelchair dependent individual wanting to be a participant in our social and cultural elements calls for a similar wardrobe.

As a wheelchair dependent individual I now am in the need of a new wardrobe and acquiring such will be the focus of my fashion interests.  Fashion details have taken on a different view and after hours of browsing online, there appears little to accommodate my dressing needs so the list of what I would like to wear in the spring and summer will be my motivator.

The above is my first attempt in this new-found interest.  Time will tell if my designs are appropriate and suitable.

Nightingale

No comments:

Post a Comment