Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Father's Passion - sailing/racing in waters off of Horseshoe Bay, British Columbia

Photo #1
Comet Blueprints Photo #4
Photo #2








Photo number one is that of myy
Dad whose passion was to sail.
In this picture he is aboard his Comet
16 ft. Sailboat which he raced off the
shores of Bowen Island and
Horseshoe Bay, British Columbia
Father had a wish to find this boat as
the design is used to this day -- but
of more modern materials - fibre glass etc.
     Father's Comet, the "Melodie" was his pride and
joy and was considered the one to beat in races.

     Dad chose to sail alone despite the sailboat rigged for
two persons as crew.  I can honestly say that I am able
to imagine Father extended beyond the confines of the
Comet as shown in photo #3.  He was considered as "the one to
beat".

Father joined the war effort and when returning to British Columbia
for the purpose of receiving an honorable discharge, he was unable
to locate the "Melodie".

Ironically, I lived in this same area that Dad raced....I knew the
waters well and have some grand memories of fishing along
the Howe Sound shores.

When visiting in the 90's, Dad once again expressed his wish
however searches were non-productive.  Each evening after
dinner and house tasks, I walked the seawall in Horseshoe
Bay and I sensed that Dad was on my shoulders in search
for his Comet.

If you, the reader, is aware of how I can extend a search from
Canada's eastern seaboard, I would be very thankful for any
suggestions you may have.

I can be reached at carpe.diem@ns.sympatico.ca
Respectfully
Melanie Elliott
(twin to the late Melodie Elliott-Clark)

Going the Distance under Sail, #3

No comments:

Post a Comment