Sunday, August 26, 2012

Embrace the Challenges of Change


            CHALLENGING CHANGE - A NEW IDENTITY
(please excuse spelling and grammar errors - author is visually challenged)

          Each morning the telephone rings moments past the hour of
 7:00 am.  I scramble to  find my hearing aid which enables me to
communicate with a community volunteer who graciously rings me to ensure I have taken my morning medications.  A brain injury in approx.
1983 left me with a memory deficit, and other limitations, thus the purpose of the daily telephone reminder..

          At that point I am awake and experience the peak of the day's
energy level therefore embracing the morning's quiet moment and make good use of my unstructured time to 10:00 am. when a care-provider of the day arrives.                                                                                
          My laptop, writing materials, journals, planners, motivational speaking files and painting brushes are all within my arms reach from my bed ... these activities give me a sense of purpose.                                                          
           Once up and dressed, a care-provider assists me with any incoming
e-mails, and reads any fax's and/or letters.  It is important for me to attend to 
these in a short timeline.  I become overwhelmed and anxious when  the paperwork piles up and experience a sense a concern that I might have missed a forgotten an important detail.  An injury to my brain had an immense effect on my literary and communication skills....I am able to write well beyond that which was forecast however difficulty with the comprehension of the written word is a great barrier.  So with paperwork attended to, I enjoy a short chat and a cup of tea with the care-provider who then focuses on housekeeping duties while I work on a project that is meaningful or required of myself.
In the not too distant past, I required twenty-four hours of daily care and have
since achieved  a level of support that extends into the realm of "supported independent living"  for a total of approximately 45 hours of care within the week in my home environment.
Upon reflecting back to my working days as a Health Information Administrator and Health Information Analyist, my passion for gardening was my morning wake-up call and a lure to the outdoor gardens.  To this day I can smell the sweetness that was in the air and the earthly scent of the damp earth that I so enjoyed during that period in my life.

Inevitably I would push time and have a need to race to the shower, get
dressed, grab an energy bar all before heading off to work.  Just as
I would reach the main highway, I would catch a glimpse of the landscape
of  Howe Sound and the incredible backdrop of a mountain range behind it ....it was always a spectacular sight and also a reminder that another weekend was coming up when I would drive up the shore of the Sound on the way to spend a weekend skiing in the Whistler area.
     A few miles further in my journey to work, I had reason to drive by a huge cliff - a landmark to an area in which eagles were plentiful.  If I failed
to spot one on my way by, and being the obsessive individual I am, I would
leave the highway at the next exit and returned to the cliff ear once again in a attempt to gain a glimpse  of a magnificent raptor.  The sight of an eagle
soaring above provided a sense of strength, well-being and grace.  Indeed
Indeed, they did "lift me up".  It was an incredible spiritual beginning of
each work day. 
     I arrived at work shortly after being in touch with Mother Earth as I worked in my garden as well as being humbled by the spectacular view of Howe Sound.  From these experiences and the sight of a soaring eagle provided me energy and strength.......indeed, a blissful life!

The photo to the right is that of Melanie and was taken four days before experiencing a brain injury.
    
Devastation: My bubble burst in 1983 when I experienced a decreased blood flow to my brain together with a vascular issue of the brainstem and damage to the balance center.  I fell into a comatose state and initially treated in the hospital in which I worked.  Now, many years later, I am left only to dream the dream of rescuing some of my life qualities, preferences and choices which defined me as a professional with unlimited capabilities, sensitivity, artistic gifts and the ability to love.  Fortunately my basic values remained compromised.
      Persons have been known to describe me as "a lady who knows who she is" however this remains my past history.  Cognitive and physical damages were
severe enough to alter some personal characteristics.  Damage of various functions of the central nervous system were not forgiving.
characteristics.

Deceit:  At the point of becoming more alert - post injury, one of my first concerns was that of the privacy of my past medical history as details were available in my medical record  which was stored in the office of the director of the "Medical Record Department".
 The purpose of the Director retaining staff health records within
 her office was to secure the privacy of sensitive information of
 administrative individuals and employees.  In essence, the director was
 entrusted as the guard and curator of the medical records
 of a designated few.  The viewing or scrutiny of medical record content by the director of the medical record department was the unthinkable.  In keeping with entrustment, charts/records under her guard were made available only to medical staff at nursing stations and within the department, to clinics and researchers.
     I realized there was a breech of this medical chart retention privacy policy when I was told by a peer that my personal medical record was located in the office of a Personal Manager within a day of my discharge from hospital.
Endangerment to all Health Services and Consumers:  Over time I shared
 the above experience and activities with physicians who were committed to my recovery.
  They were so very sorry for my disappointments and angered
 that their physician notes were used for purposes other than those intended and entrusted.  I fully expect physicians, after becoming aware of issues of this nature have altered their usual recording methods and the scope of notes appearing in their patient's records were inadequate....all for the well-being of the patient.


            Melanie with Art Therapy Instructor, Barbara Hirst


 Additionally,  patients may not be forthcoming with information in which they fear will not be considered as "private" and "confidential". These outcomes infer that the quality and quantity of date within a medical record is compromised in addition to the issue of risk to patients. who cannot provide crucial data that could be life-threatening.  This issue has become of great concern now that medical records have gone electronic.
                                                                                    
Photo of Melodie (in white), a dear neighbhourhood friend, Lloyd Roberts and myself (in black).  Circa 1968. I have every confidence that  he loved us as we did he.     Dresses were fashioned by Mother, Fran Elliott.  Occasion:  Melodie's graduation from a Nursing Program.
BACK TO THE CONTEXT OF THIS SUBJECT OF CHANGE
Rights of privacy - Dismissed:  When leaving hospital after the brain injury,  I was told that the optimum level of recovery was unknown and that any advances would be a very long process and if any at all.  Neurorehabilitation was the first step to recovery.

 In the early days of attending a rehabilitation program at the hospital where I was an employee, I received notice that a Personnel Department Officer wished to see me to discuss my employment, expectations, timelines and personal health issues.  The latter was first on the agenda and before the meeting, I was reasonably certain that I would be dismissed from my position due to my being a danger to myself as I could experience a seizure when safety was in question  (the subject of my being a danger to others also entered the picture).
I made my way to the meeting and  once seated around a table of hospital officials (decision-makers)
I noticed a medical record at one end of  the table and attendees were instructed to look through my record and pass it on to the person beside them.
     The act of sharing this confidential document with staff personnel and private medical servers was an incredible breech of trust, basic ethics of a Health Information Administrator/Manager (HIA).    To make sure I was understanding the movement of my medical record, I asked the Personnel Officer how she came to be in position of this medical chart....she informed me that my Department Head of Medical Records had provided it.  Releasing this record to the Personnel representative was in very poor judgement of the HIA and a serious offense....serious enough for the dismissal of her standing in her professional community..                                                                      
                                                                                                                             
Discrimination, Degradation:                                                                            
    When the chart made its rounds the Personnel Officer opened my chart and read the results of some blood work and the conclusion of two electroencephalogram - each being abnormal.  I experienced a sense of violation as she continued to read from the medical record.  She informed me that these tests had to be within normal range before I would be permitted back to the work site.  Before returning,  written confirmation from my physician on the status of these tests was required.  I had to keep in mind that it was unlikely that the Personnel Officer was aware of the confidentiality breach, conflict of interest and making decisions past her boundaries that only a physician could interpret.  She was indeed "out of her box".
                                                                                                                    Medical Records
                                                                                                                              My Nemesis
 After many hours of conversation with the hospital's out-patient Social Worker and a physician, it became clear that I had more to regain in terms of ability, however, access to a rehabilitation team was not my privilege at that time.  After many encounters and a visual image of my deficits, I had to look the issue straight in the face and accept that I was at the stage of a "New Beginning".  Each of these individuals, who had taken on the task of providing counsel, were without doubt putting much more effort, time and energy that would be offered to a patient with similar issues.  I remain humbled by their compassion. 

     Medical coaches suggested I return to my family as they would help me trough difficult times and would have the love and understanding which would be of a great comfort to me.  Before I returned to my accommodations, I had already made my mind up that indeed, a trip home (to Nova Scotia) was wise.  Just before my announcing my decision, both the Social Worker and Physician offered to speak with my Parents and provide them with an awareness of my abilities and offered them an open line if and when they feel they have reached the end of their rope.  Distance of these individuals was of no concern when offering their support.
     The realization of what I had lost was cumulative - every corner I turned seemingly presented, yet, another obstacle.
     I had expressed to friend that  I felt displaced and trying to provide comfort to myself by not accepting that I was less intelligent -- I was more comfortable with the words of a "decreased ability to process".  I sensed a need to continually provide information as to my intellect and it became an obsession that nearly consumed me.  
Melanie at home in Nova Scotia and her presence embraced by PARENTS OF  EXCEPTION

As suggested by the Social Worker, I began my new life in a location in which I did not feel a
sense to function at the level I once knew.  Integration into my new world by volunteering in community was a very wise decision and to this day contacts within this community activity provided me with life-long friends....that includes you, Roger !!

My participation within the Hearing Impaired population and that 
of the Canadian Paraplegic Association - Atlantic Div provided me something tangible in the recovery stages.

Melanie enjoying nature at it's best.  This day trip would be a typical gift by my lifelong friend Mary.

Now with friends and support circles in place, I have managed to put a gold star to the title of "Supported Independent Living....such provides me with my most cherished and protective life-principles.


Yes, if you look closely this is myself in the front seat of a glider!  Nephew, Stephen John  Forrester Elliott is a volunteer glider instructor and a wonderful, gentle, caring and compassionate mature young adult.  I can't think of many such as Stephen who offers his "old" Aunt a ride !!!  He as an amazing ability to encourage a calmness -- and wise beyond his years.

Samplying of dresses for children of Mothers in need of taking shelter in
a protective location.

The above project is a sampling of 100 dresses I have created from pillowcases and given to a Woman's shelter where Mother's would arrive with only the clothes they were wearing and often a little girl in hand who is confused and with great fear. I had an opportunity to be a a shelter and witnessed the anguish of so many little girls.  With a new dress, it was my purpose to help them in a time when they have little self-worth and the fact that someone made them a dress was a sign of hope for better days --- days in which they could go to the playground and wear their little sundress.. 

I am one of those individuals who can not sit in one location for any length of  time so in order to fill that "need to be busy last winter", I added the knitting of a Chowichan Sweater to my list of things to do last winter.  I had always wanted one however did not do so and before I knew it I was no longer in BC.  Time flew so fast when considering a trip to NS and only to find myself in my hometown and without the comforts of this sweater.  I patiently waited until I could find a kit of buffalo wool on eBay and sure enough one did appear and I got ut my knitting needles....a great project!!!.






 

Moving on:  Persons often ask me "How do you keep  your spirit?"  Answer:
Examples and Tips:  First and foremost:  Letting Go !!! is very much a key word and concept. 
-Recognizing the stress that a sense of "immediacy" to a quick "cure" presents,
- Ask for assistance when faced with making appointments and struggle with time issues and 
      details,
- Embrace Change !! (personally, change is my #1 demon),
- Remembering that you are a survivor not a victim,
-Establish a support circle of devoted, loving and dedicated individuals,
      Caution:  don't wear advocates, mentors and supporters out.  Always be mindful that they too
     need support in their own lives !!
- Recognize events that are energy draining and act accordingly,
- Listen and act on intuition,
- Focus on the moment,
- Gather strength from sensitive, private life events,
- Remain connected with friends,
 - Consider motivational speaking opportunities - an empowering experience for all,
- Sustain a belief in yourself,
- Seek out personal growth opportunities,
- Depression:  Keep an awareness of when this begins and be proactive before it seemingly gets the
    best of your spirits,
- Mindfully reflect on accomplishments - this promotes self-worth and an energized spirit,
- Find a relaxation technique -- personally, meditation works,
- Acknowledge the concept of abilities - not disabilities,
- Plan new, unusual, and appropriate events to be enjoyed in your future i.e. it was this concept that enabled me to ride in an equestrian program and fly in a glider !! 

DARE TO DREAM THE DREAM
-

...Nightingale








No comments:

Post a Comment