Sunday, August 5, 2012

Employers of Care-providers - Manual

BLUEPRINTS  FOR  SUPPORTED SELF-DIRECTED
ATTENDANT CARE:

     My first introduction to the need for attendant care
service, a few years ago, was nothing short of my worst
nightmare.  As a newcomer to the community of disabled
individuals, access to the advice and wisdom of other
attendant-care service consumers was limited.  Additionally,
searches for "how to" literature were in vain, thus leaving
me to my own devices.  Learning by trial and error proved
to be a difficult life experience.

     At that crossroad, family and friends graciously and tirelessly came together to advocate for my attendant
care needs (not wants) as I had little mental and physical
energy in reserve.  To this day, their support enables me to engage in a lifestyle of independence
with dignity.

     In honor of these enablers, I take great pleasure in announcing the publication of a self-
authored guide:  "BLUEPRINTS FOR SUPPORTED SELF-DIRECTED ATTENDANT CARE".
     It is my hope that the information this seventy-page manual of illustrated collections of guidelines, checklists, and resource materials will in some small way assist others who strive to plan, organize and manage a self-directed care plan.

     The word/term "supported" within the title of this guide does not imply financial supports as it addresses the essential element and role of support persons/individuals.

     The project of putting a very superior care-plan in place has been two years in the making and the major portion of the material presented in the guide reflects successful personal attendant-care management experiences.  In keeping with the individual uniqueness of abilities, preferences and needs of persons with disabilities, I do not consider this guide to be all-encompassing.

     I wish to express my gratitude for the guidance, aid and expertise provided by the Services for Persons with Disabilities - Nova Scotia, Department of Community Services.  Additionally, I wish to acknowledge the Nova Scotia Disabled Persons Commission for their encouragement and support, thus ensuring the completion of this project.

     Persons interested in obtaining a copy of BLUEPRINTS FOR SUPPORTED SELF-DIRECTED ATTENDANT CARE can do so by calling 902 423-8148, or by e-mail at carpe.diem@ns.sympatico.ca.

     The following charges apply:  Printing cost of $12.34 ea. and mailing expense is approx. $12.00 per copy (HST charges apply and are not included in the above quote).

......Nightingale

.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment