Tuesday, August 7, 2012

In Transition: Attention Seniors and Retirees


Melanie &  O'Hara - circa 1984


Friends have remarked on the subject of my not being out and about thus concerned my health status was compromised.  To make a long story short my general health is stable however I have been totally consumed by administrative expectations that have demanded a state of readiness for 226 days......all in an attempt to meet demands of the Provincial governing bodies and services that have a hand in enabling me to live in my native province in a *supported independent manner.

Never mind.....this marathon ends in 24 days time.  On that date you will find me on a local beach, with a cold slushy drink, enjoying the scents of the sea and with one great big watermelon with birthday candles in the center -- a summer treat for anyone who passes by.  It will be in celebration of our 65th and formal retirement. -- events that have put Provincial gov. agencies and enablers in  a spin.

Personal hardships have been at an all-time high during this transition.  I have actually been pulled in the direction of institutional living (assisted living in a provincial facility) when feeling buried and with no relief in sight.

I started off this blog with the issue of the costs of a supported independent plan-----it is not all peaches in cream.  Consider the following and form your own image of this living style.
Personal costs begin with:
1)  Fees for interpreter service when not in the presence of a care-provider capable of presenting me with information in a manner I require is costly.  Connecting with an "oral interpreter" is exhausting at the best of times and availability as well as fees for service continues to be a concern as hearing impairment is progressive in nature, 

2)  In this transition I have come to the realization that I have such little hearing left that I am in need of screening telephone calls to determine if the person calling is someone who is aware and can provide the speech technique required.  The cost of this grows by the day and has presented a huge energy need as I try to gather details and at the same time attempt to put coping strategies in place.  My efforts to explore and discuss Senior pharmacare issues, at the provincial level,  has been a lifetime disappointment.  In my need to communicate with customer service agents, there has been need for telephone dialogue and attempts to do so have been met with the act of being laughed at as well as being hung up on - such was the behaviour of agents whose insensitivity was a rude introduction to being a Senior,

3)  My sense of "not being able to keep up" has led me to make lifetime choices without being an informed individual.  After I feel beaten down, I cave in and do the unthinkable -- accepting what would seem to be the easiest path with a hope that by doing so I can move forward.  I dare not think about what I have lost when considering  my lack of detail awareness....it likely will be a cost that will haunt me for the rest of my years,

4)  Intimidation:  Overwhelming - by my not exploring the benefits of a community service as suggested by a gov. decision maker, I was told that my decision to not comply with her suggestions that she could not guarantee her department would consider funding for special needs that might arise in future years.  The cost - - questionable future service and the outcome was that of communication with an individual from the suggested service.  In that discussion the service w informed me that there was nothing her department could assist me with at this juncture., 

5)  Disrespect:  As an individual who has a 45 minute staying power, a thirty minute delay of a meeting due to tardiness of the  Provincial decision maker translates to a waste of  government monies.  There was not even the courtesy of a phone call explaining that there would be a delay.  My Care Plan Manager was present and shuffled schedules in order to build in time to attend the meeting with myself and Provincial worker.  This same individual has shown a lack of consideration when she continues with business matters after the 45 minute timeline.  Even words of a reminder from a time keeper are disregarded.
     The cost of this individuals meeting practices is of great cost to my level of function.  I am left with being barely able to wheel myself down the hallway to my bed. 

6)  As an employer of Care-Providers, Provincial gov. social & health-related services there is always the need to discuss and manage finances.  Persons with disabilities and in the particular program I participate are required to participate in payroll matters that pertain to wages of Care-Provider    As an individual who comprehends mathematical issues at a midschool level, the Province has come to my rescue and has granted me the services of a  bookkeeper in Ontario.
     I continue with a curiosity as to why and how this Province can justify (indirectly) support payroll managers "from away".  
     My greatest concern is that of making a mistake when submitting the number of hours worked to the bookkeeper.  A high level of anxiety and stress is my cost with respect to this subject as I stress over the fact that my care-providers likely depend on their wage for food and rent.  A mistake in my submitting the number of hours of work by staff  haunts me. The spirit and support of the bookkeeper has been a great anchor.

7)  In keeping with this transition and need for a re-established plan-of-care, I was of the understanding that there would be a one-month gap without support. 
     Being the obsessive and responsible person I am, I took it upon myself to take full responsibility for the one-month gap and began selling my personal belongings including an antique brass bed which was my first "adult" purchase and an item that had a huge sentimental attachment.  Yes, I use the word "had" as it no longer a conversational piece in my home. It was sold to a dear young lady who I felt would give it a good home. 
     At a meeting with the Provincial representative following the sales, I provided a photo of the items and with teary eyes looked at the representative only to hear "why would you do that?"  My heart rate must have been off the page as her question was a message to me that there was no reason to sell anything.  She continued to say the Province would ensure I would not be left stranded for the 30 days I had anticipated.  These latter words were of comfort however on a different level it was information that came too late.

I will end at this point and return after the party on the beach.  Come and join us (carpe.diem@ns.sympatico.ca.)

....Nightingale
*supported - referring to funding support
(please excuse spelling & grammar errors)

No comments:

Post a Comment